Saturday, February 12, 2011

Janus of London

I had been working on a piece of spanking fiction a while back for Jada and Lizzie and one of the characters in the story was called Janus. I just liked the spelling. I'd never seen it before and thought it was just different. Jada asked me where I got the name idea and I said it just came to me. She asked if I knew about Janus, the British spanking magazine, knowing I'm not (believe it or not) a *real* spanko. I told her I did not. She went on to explain Janus and the fact (I think) that it was one of the first spanking magazines with stories and pictorials going all the way back to the 1970s.

So last week, when I was back in London again on business, I was making my way through Soho to go a meeting at a nearby business, I literally stumbled upon the Janus store. I snapped a quick pic of this spanko institution to share with Jada back in the States. Pretty amazing happenstance...or was it?

8 comments:

  1. I'm curious. How would you define a real spanko?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone who's more of a spanking purist. Someone who dreamed of spanking or being spanked. Someone obsessed with things spanking from an early age. Someone likely not into other things, BDSM-wise. I'm a BDSMer first, a spanko second. I did not fantasize about spanking. I didn't see comics or old movies or advertisements with spanking in them and have what I'd seen invade my thoughts.

    Does that make sense, Melanie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that subliminally.. spanking was seaping into your life... (heehee)

    So what do you call someone that LOVES spanking and is a BDSM-light kinda gal??

    Am I a "Spanking IMPurist"?? haha! (may have to use that in my next blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hrm. Dunno, Zelle. Since spanking is a part of BDSM, are you just a BDSMer at that point? Or a BDSM-adjacent?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does make sense. I suppose I was a real spanko for a while, but since I discovered BDSM, my interests have wandered that direction. Now I just have to figure out how to do all of the BDSMy stuff that looks so interesting. Everything else seems to require more skill than does spanking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes skill, Melanie--else you risk harming someone (and not it in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  7. In its heyday the "Janus Bookstore", was the first place I visited, when I arrived in London. It was the 'spanking mecca' where us 'spanking elite's would meet. It has been rumored that they are thinking of closing the place. But I am NOT 100% sure on that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I went in and they seemed to be full-up of spanking magazines, almost homemade-looking DVDs and quality reprints of all the Janus magazines apparently going back to the 70s.

    They've been encroached upon by hip boutiques, Costa Coffee stores and upscale restaurants so I would imagine the pressure is high to sell to a developer for high £.

    ReplyDelete