Sunday, February 6, 2011

More Strange Stats

On January 17 I posted a sort of "part 2" to my story from last year about a text meant for kinkster going to a co-worker. On that post I took a photo of Erica's bottom and in Photoshop put it on an iPhone screen. I'm a writer--that's one of the things I do for a living, so to me, words are everything (even though I can be rather sloppy with this very blog). Pictures, notsomuch. People like pictures. They speak a thousand words, I'm told. So when I was looking up my stats for my previous post on the subject, I was very surprised to see the number of hits that Jan. 17 post received. 578 in one day. That may not seem like a lot, but it's an all-time record for me for one day. Why is that? I think it's the photo.

So I'm going to do a test. I'm going to take some of Erica's spanking shots (with her prior permission, of course) and randomly pepper future posts with them--just to see if my traffic goes up. Why? I dunno. I would love to believe I'm witty, insightful, occasionally provocative--a raconteur. But if a picture is worth a thousand words--or 578 hits--perhaps I need to be writing more wittily, more insightfully, more provocatively...or at least 2,000 words.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Craig,

    I can confirm your observation about pictures versus text. As a fellow writer, I lament readers' comparative disinterest in the written word. But that is the world into which we publish.

    I devised a plan to use this tendency to my advantage. My best writing is generally headlined by a photograph of my bottom. Many MBS readers now know that when they see that protruding posterior, a good spanking story is sure to follow. This technique would undoubtedly be more effective if I looked like Erica, but there can be only one.

    Fortunately, there remains a loyal minority (including me) who enjoy the words on their own merit. Even now, I am looking forward to learning what clever surprises you have planned for our dear Beth...

    Hugs,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bonnie!

    You're a doll. Thanks so much for your comments. I'll see if my "experiment" works.

    CH

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that your stats will go up whenever a picture of the lovely Erica adorns a post. I too am a writer, and prefer the word pictures that good blogging writers paint. I try to catch a reader's attention with a suggestive title, and have found that any mention of spanking in the heading draws a bigger crowd.

    Even though I came into blogging with the firm resolve to care little about pictures, it turns out that I have a great deal of fun searching for just the right graphic image to accompany a post. And my slowly-becoming-popular weekend "Complete the Caption" feature is picture-oriented (although the challenge is to provide words).

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  4. (laughing) While I'm flattered at the notion, I don't think it was so much a picture of ME that did the trick. It could have been any of a lot of different spanking-oriented photos. People do love their visuals, particularly in the kink realm.

    I like to think that it's a combination of interest-piqueing photos PLUS good writing. Blogs with all pictures and no substance to them bore me. But illustrate clever words with just the right photos in a good ratio, and the traffic seems to increase.

    When I moved my blog from the uptight MySpace to the more uninhibited BlogSpot and was able to incorporate more spanky pictures, my readership went up. It is what it is. But one does hope their words are of interest too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you're giving me good fodder, Hermione. At least, some ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  6. True, Erica, true. Glad to know you move from DrySpace worked out for the best... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. While most of us enjoy a nice picture from time to time, I suspect most of the extra traffic garnered by photographs is just that - people searching for photographs that may or may not even glance at the writing. Personally, the quality of your writing and the insights you provide are what hooked me on your blog (so much so that when I found it, I went back and read everything you had ever posted up to that point). All that to say, while the writing alone may not earn you the highest hit counts, your writing is appreciated and you have acquired a loyal following.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie: A reader of words. Be still my beating heart...

    ReplyDelete