Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Real People Outside of our Kink"

The title of today's blog post comes from a comment my play pal Beth made about my post on connections recently. She was saying that play is better when there's more to it than that--and friendship and relationships that form from getting to know someone in the scene makes the play even better. She said it's nice to know we're real people outside of our kink.

But her comment got me thinking. Isn't it nice to know that we're real people inside of our kink? I'm not bagging on what she said. I know what she meant and I'm not picking it apart. And I know she didn't mean that we're real people in spite of our kink.

But, what I've come to learn over the last few years of playing publicly and getting to know people in the scene is that more likely than not folks are genuinely nice in the lifestyle. There have been discussions ad-nauseum about this, but I think there's something to be said for us.

We all feel a little outside the mainstream because of our predilections. We either feel like we could be persecuted or have been persecuted for what we desire/want/need. I think that's why, when we get together as a group, there can be a lot more compassion between people than you typically see in the "outside world."

5 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog today. So interesting. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thanks for commenting and Following! Hope you continue to enjoy it.

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like a Top with passion... but I'll take one with "COMpassion" over that anyday.. :-)

    Are we going down that "Limerence" road perhaps?? (grins).. cause I just adore the Tops I play with.. I just love them to pieces! They 'get me'.. and I 'get them'! Whether in or outside of play.. we know each other so well.. and are so comfortable around each other.. that I damn near don't want to leave that safety and comfort bubble and have to deal with people that 'don't get me'.. or .. I don't 'get them'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zelle: LImerence is a good thing, right? Thanks for your comments! I've missed you here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh hell YES "Limerence" is a good thing! Why that's the next best thing since leather became an aphrodisiac... LOL

    Thanks! I missed you too! Figured I better start suckin' up .. just in case you see me wondering aimlessly around BBW. hahahahahahahha!

    ReplyDelete