Saturday, April 2, 2011

Kinksters, Be Very Afraid...

You have a FetLife account. You've decided to put your photo there, thinking your identity is safe within the confines of an exclusive kink "club." But, technology is coming soon that could put your private identity at risk. For years Google has been working on a technology that will allow users to highlight a face on a photo, website, blog--whatever--and have Google scour the internet to find other identical faces. That means you may have a vanilla profile on Facebook, but someone who's interested could have Google find other examples of your face and discover it on FetLife. When that happens, if you're not completely out of the closet, you will be. The moment that technology happens this author will pull all his real face photos off FL. 


Click the article below for more info:



8 comments:

  1. Fetlife shouldn't be an issue with this. Because it is hidden behind a login, google does not scrape their pages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm worried about any search engine that caches pages--up to ten years worth!--regardless of whether they're behind a login or not. Better safe than sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not impressed. The more privacy concerns I discover, the more I want to go hide under a bush and pretend the internet was never invented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't wish that of the internet, just be cautious and diligent! That's why I have young Orson Welles as my photo here. Close enough...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really wish that of the internet. I've grown rather fond of having a world of information at my fingertips. But I do sometimes wonder if simpler times don't get enough credit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Simpler times"? Have fun with that. I'll take what we've got (and where we're going!) any day over Little House on the Prairie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you and thank you for the warning. I will say, however, that we have similar technologies today and my friend had a pic and asked it to do facial recognition, it tagged her shamrock shake as her mother... apparently they have similar features:)

    That said I canceled my fetlife due to some 6 degrees of seperation that I wasn't comfortable trusting would stay seperate and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I wouldn't go so far as canceling FetLife! Maybe just keep the pix more blurred than before...

    ReplyDelete