Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hitting 50

At some point over the last few days I hit 50 Followers on my blog. I've been at this for about 2 1/2 years now, posting missives, musings, humorous anecdotes, fiction, photos from scenes, play party reports and thinks both kinky and vanilla that just pique my curiosity. I've said to friends (mostly fellow bloggers Erica, Beth and Lizzie) that I feel I'm constantly swimming up hill with this blog. 

Why?

Because: a.) I'm not female, b.) I don't post pictures of myself (assuming I was female) in various forms of spankitude and nudification. Now, all three of the above (and many, many others) have excellent things to say, great things to read and wonderful fiction, but if I look at the traffic and Followers of most blogs, the women get more screenviews than the male-authored blogs.

Erica was particularly worried about porting her blog over to Blogger because she had so many readers on MySpace, and I encouraged her to make the switch. I had been on for a while and had 25 or so Followers when she did. To my chagrin, she had tons more in record time. 

So when I discovered 50 followers this morning I was quite pleased. This was a milestone. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not jealous. I don't write or do this for popularity or to preach or to promote a cause--I do it because I like to share. When I started the blog I thought, as a writer, it would be interesting to share a "top's-eye-view" of the spanking and BDSM scene because most men aren't all that articulate in general (sorry guys) and tops/doms in the scene even less so. I wanted to demystify us male sadists and give people (particularly women, let's be honest) a chance to understand where I was coming from. I don't speak for or represent all tops/doms. Far from it. My opinions and views vary far and wide from the BDSM norms at times.

Bottom line: thank you for helping my blog turn 50. I hope you enjoy it and continue to find that I have something interesting to say and share.

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations. :)

    It would be interesting to see visual representation of the percentage of your followers that are female, versus your 3 lovely females and their percentage of male followers. I'm sure it's somehow not politically correct to say that, but meh, fuck it.

    50 is a lovely milestone. :) You should commemorate it with a story. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly? I don't really get the "following" thing. You click on "Join this blog" and it adds your avatar to a list. I've never bothered doing it, although I regularly follow lots of blogs, including yours. Perhaps I should.

    Point is, a lot of people may be reading without officially listing themselves as followers. It's your stats and blog hits that count, much more than the Followers list.

    'Tis true, the female bloggers get more traffic. All the more reason to keep going and keep providing an intelligent and interesting male perspective, because they are needed for balance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your stories, A'marie! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the words of encouragement, Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!

    I love your blog. I love the way you write, and the way you share your unique thoughts on the scene and life. I started reading your blog because it was so different than the many others out there.

    Please keep sharing. Sometimes it's thought provoking and sometimes it's just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy your blog and am glad that there are some articulate men/tops/doms out there. It's always interesting to read a different perspective. Something is obviously bringing people back so keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Beth! That's very sweet. I really, really appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Lea. Again, I appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Craig,

    I have been checking your blog for quite some time. I enjoy reading what you have to say and also look forward to what you will be posting next. Keep at it because I check every day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Bobbie Jo! That's a nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Craig! I can understand your desire to have people following your blog, after all you put a lot of time into the writing, and it's nice to know that people are reading your thoughts and maybe get inspired by them. The blogs that get the most viewers aren't the ones written by women who post pictures of themselves from time to time. I think the blogs that get the biggest numbers of hits are those which are usually written/hosted by men and which are full of photos depicting women and maybe information on spanking films featuring female spankees. If you decide to write rather than posting pictures, the number of viewers in my opinion will always remain smaller. But those who are visiting come to read what you have to say! And I think that is important, too. Hey, having said that, I wouldn't mind the one or other picture showing you (maybe in topping action?)! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kaelah: Thanks for the comment! I really appreciate you taking the time to write. You're right, of course. I'll keep writing when I have something to say and posting things that interest me when I don't. And as for a photo of me...not gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I already suspected you would say that re photos but, hey, it was worth a try... ;-) Here's to the next 50 followers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations. I discovered your blog only recently and like it, obviously, as I wouldn't bother to post a comment, otherwise. Although I do not have a blog, I think I can understand that it is nice to have many followers if you put a lot of effort in such a personal thing as a blog. Maybe, the silent kinky majority is reading it.
    So, I wish you lots of fun and and many loyal readers and followers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're right Kaelah. Thanks for the well-wishes! (Besides, you already KNOW what I look like!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Fenris. And thanks for commenting. Welcome to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Craig, do you really think I would have suggested to you that you should post pictures if I hadn't been sure that they would increase the number of your visitors instead of decreasing them?! ;-)

    On a serious note: Of course I know that most bloggers don't want to post pictures of themselves and I would never ever urge (or seriously ask) anyone to do that. In that regard my original comment was of course meant as a joke. I seriously think, though, that photos of people I know through their writing or maybe even personally are much more interesting for me than the millions of pictures showing nameless women which one finds on all the photo blogs. And, like I have written in my comment on Erica's post about photo blogs, I think it would also be nice to have more photos depicting men as well (be it bottoms or tops). But of course it isn't your job to fill that gap! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know it was, Kaelah! No worries!

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you want to get more followers, post a lot of comments on other sites. Many bloggers check back and check out the sites of the person who comments and they may decide to follow you.

    FD

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, Forida Dom. I'm really not looking for more traffic, believe it or not, but I appreciate your suggestion.

    ReplyDelete