Monday, March 12, 2012

Book Review: Late Bloomer

Let me start off by saying this: I'm a slow reader. I read a lot for work and I have to cram a lot of reading in when I do, so I read fast. When I get to read for pleasure I want to enjoy it, not rush it, so I read much slower. This is compounded by the fact I don't have much time to read. I work about 10 hours a day when I'm not traveling, plus a commute of more than an hour each way, so after that 12 hour day is done and dinner is over I'm generally so fried I don't feel like doing much more than popping open the laptop to catch up on the 100+ emails I get at work each day and veg out in front of the telly. So when I do get around to reading it's usually when I'm traveling and generally when I'm on a plane. So I have a huge queue of books to read on my Kindle and I usually only get through a few books a year. Not a voracious reader, I suppose. 


All this preamble is an excuse to say I probably should have written a review of Late Bloomer a lot sooner, since Erica Scott's autobiography came out in late August/early September, but I only finished the tome on the plane flying from Amsterdam to Los Angeles a few weeks ago.


So, as the high school drama teacher pompously said on stage before introducing his production of Death of a Salesman, without further ado...




Book Review: Late Bloomer by Erica Scott


Erica writes a poignant tale of her life in Late Bloomer that is at times heart-wrenching, unnerving, annoying, poignant and hilarious--occasionally all at the same time. Though her travails are likely similar to many others out there it is with the forthright nature of her writing style and casual self-awareness that makes it fresh. For such a self-proclaimed social introvert (maybe those aren't her words exactly) she tells her tale with a great deal of aplomb. 


Her story is one of self-discovery and that tale is certainly a universal one. We've all felt like outcasts, downtrodden and put-upon. But Erica's life goes from one terrible life experience to another, from family drama (and melodrama) to personal crisis. In the end, her blossoming as an adult, as an awake member of society (I know how that sounds and I actually mean it the way it sounds) and ultimately, as a spanko takes this from a woe-is-me generic tale of self-discovery to a highly fascinating, utterly interesting tale of self-discovery.


Late Bloomer, though about a woman discovering her kink after decades just getting by in life, is really a mainstream story about awareness, empowerment and in many ways feminine power. Through her discovery as a spanko (and I wish I could recall if she used the word masochist) she discovered herself, her self-esteem and awakened a piece of herself that fed her desire for attention--almost all in one fell swoop. (And, I'm pleased to mention, she does refer to Yours Truly in the book--a pleasant surprise I'd not known about until reading it with heady astonishment.)


Late Bloomer starts sad and ends happy. What more can a reader want? But through it all the book is a page-turner via Erica's self-deprecating charm, witty and snarky asides and often hilarious anecdotes. The book is certainly bittersweet, but leans much more on sweet than bitter (though dear Erica can be quite caustic at times). If you're reading this review here on Dark Musing then you're already likely kinky (or at least kink interested) and I needn't add a disclosure on Erica's BDSM and spanking experiences, but even if you were vanilla her tale sucks all but the most puritan in to her open and frank disclosures of her spanking inclinations. By the end, you're rooting for Erica to succeed. Actually, it's more than that and simultaneously simpler than that: you want Erica to live.

6 comments:

  1. It is indeed a very good book to read. I resonated with it immediately and she is an excellent writer. I will most likely read it again. When I find the time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, dear friend. Very much. :-)

    I searched the book file; nope, no masochist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear, Bobbie Jo. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did as well...after I posted the blog, Erica. I had the same results. You never used the word "masochist." Shame...

    Glad you liked the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review. It's a great book, probably going to read it for the fourth time soon!

    ReplyDelete