Thursday, April 17, 2014

Poly for All

I was flying through Salt Lake City on a layover this week when I nearly stumbled when I saw this t-shirt in an airport souvenir shop.


I laughed at first. Seemed kinky. But then I thought about it. Sure, it's a laugh, but if I was Mormon I wouldn't think this was very funny. And if I was a girl, I'm not sure this is something I'd want on my chest. What's it say about the girl, even if joking? If it's a guy? Okay...I guess. Certainly a single guy. Not a married one. So...I'm not sure who this shirt is for.

If it said "I've tried Poly" I'd think that was funny and fun (though I still wouldn't wear it). So a shirt that should appeal to me (both for my lifestyle and my sense of humor) but this one just doesn't. What about you?

2 comments:

  1. Poly is fun, but I have a lot of doubts about polygamy. It's unbalanced, resulting in a surplus of men outside any reasonable relationship.

    Polyamory at least has the possibility of keeping a balance with some women who have multiple male partners. It can also incorporate gender balance into the relationships themselves.

    The problem is that any gamy is hard to do. That's one reason supposedly monogamous Americans split up half the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Statistically, we are pretty evenly matched, men and women, in western countries at least. I'm not worried about creating an imbalance, particularly since most people are monogamous and believe that's the only way (cheating excluded of course). If we were more open minded as a society we would have far less divorce, IMHO.

      Delete